Wednesday 7 September 2016

English Blog post 1

To whom it concerns
The names Andrew Dando but I go by many names, “Andy”, “Dando”, “Dandini” and “the coolest guy in Raha”, ok not everyone calls me by the last one but I would like to think so.  I am in a family of 4, all being boys, sadly I was the youngest. I am an active person, sports and school being my priorities. One of my most fond obsessions is taking part in an invite-only sports association. What we do is run in a box chasing a ball or as the normal day Ed would call it “football”.  I am devoted to football, I support the greatest team in the English league, and they are incomparable to any other, the one and only “Manchester united”.  I believe I am a connoisseur of football, although it may not sound handy it wins a lot of arguments.  One of my strongest strength is my humour; I consider it my greatest strength from my many, I feel I make people laugh often.  This year my main goal is to strengthen my analysis skills with poetry; I feel my vocabulary skills were weak but have increased within this year.


What role does language have in your life?
I believe Language has a big role in my daily lifestyle. I believe it is able to define you as a person. Personally, I use language to shows my intellectual and humour sides. Language has taken a more important role in my lifestyle, as in the future I had no care for it.  As I youngster I was not affectionate towards language or languages. I felt Arabic and French were not useful and thought I was fluent in English so did not care about it, this was a young and unwise Andrew. But as my age grew so did my ability in the language, throughout my last two years I have begun to read books and they have more than 50 pages.

Why do you think it is important to study languages?
Studying is important on its own but language more specifically has a greater role. A study showed that if your English skills were high, your average score in school would increase, as well as if a new language is studied you are able to communicate in multiple ways. I also Believe if someone were to study a language, they are able to get a better insight on different cultures. I imagine that learning one's culture with a different language is challenging, so to ease you learning their own language would give a better awareness. Overall I feel language is an important attribute to acquire because it benefits you in various ways, Like me, most people practice to improve so I believe it is important to study it.


Have you ever felt excluded due to language barriers? 
With over 6000 languages in our society, almost everyone has faced a challenge with communication, Websites and apps have been created to overcome these barriers, which we face with the most popular being “Google translate”. I come from a Ukraine side where English is rarely taught which means the majority of my family does not speak it fluently. I feel I have been excluded in language constantly when I travel to my home country. Ways I connect with them are mainly hand signals and simple discussion.

 https://i.ytimg.com/vi/bNTEgqC_MIU/hqdefault.jpg   

I consider this image to best suit me because it shows my two sides. First, we see the person, Its bill gates a successful billionaire, Although I am yet to reach that kind of salary or any salary to be fair, I aspire to reach his success . Secondly his pose, this pose meaning is a fun exciting side of me.


5 comments:

  1. This post served as an enjoyable reminder of your great sense of humour Dandini. I appreciate the stock of new nicknames as well. It is interesting that you have a strong Ukrainian presence in your family, but do no speak the language. I have always regretted not learning Dutch from my father's side of the family, but was never really exposed to it. Glad to have you back in my class.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Andrew,

    I totally relate with you how in the past you used to think that having english was good enough and the other languages like french and arabic were not important, I was like that too. I agree that you are one person who is very remarkable for their sense of humor and that, I can assure you.
    However, one thing thing that I do disagree with you is that Manchester United is far off from the "greatest team in the English league", maybe you should check out the pride of London Arsenal ;). What really got me laughing was when you said that you have "begun to read books and they have more than 50 pages", I admire and respect the honesty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Andrew, I find this very interesting and find this pretty accurate to yourself. As well I have been the same situation where I would discard the knowledge of different languages thus forcing me to being restrained, however it doesn't impact my life as much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yo Andrew,
    Your Blog was really good to read and it was worth every minute cause you added your comedian self into what you wrote which makes who ever reads it enjoy it and adds curiosity into knowing more about who you are. I also agree with you on the having more knowledge and understanding about different languages and their history, because as you said having more then 6,000 languages in our society means that it will be harder to understand one another unless we have some knowledge about other languages.

    ReplyDelete