Sunday 18 September 2016

Blog Post #3

G’day

In most of our society, a name isn’t just something we call someone to get their attention, it has stronger meaning when looking into the heritage/ history behind it. In the more present day names have adapted from modern shows, for example, Sansa, Jon, and Arya all coming from a television show (Game of thrones), these names contribute to almost 2,000 names in the U.K alone in 2016.

The meaning of Andrew to me isn’t really special; before I knew the meaning I didn’t really care what people called me. I personally believed it was a common boring name; this was all before I knew the meaning. Often people called me by my last name “Dando” or “Dandini”, which I liked due to its relevance to Brazilian footballers, maybe one day when you see “Dandini scored the best goal ever and wins million dollar contract” on the front page of every newspaper, you can be like “I knew him”

Personally, my name has two meaning. Andrew Originates from Ancient Greece, meaning “Manly” Masculine”,  funnily enough, I carry both with me as characteristics. Although it has Greek decent my name was adapted from Russia. “Andreas” was my origin name but as I have an English heritage and family it was adopted to “Andrew”. This was mainly done to pronounce it easier as the correct saying of “Andreas” has an emphasis on the “r”, thankfully my parents didn’t ruin my life.


However this is not the main reason it was chosen, my grandfather was also named Andreas. He was from my Ukrainian side. He was an active smoker and sadly died when my mother was young. So in honor of him, I was given his name (slightly adapted). Overall I really don’t mind what you call me, as long as it has relevance to me.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Andrew, your name is very interesting, I would not have guess that a simple name like Andrew would have such a deeper meaning

    ReplyDelete